Master Ralph Bergamo
Director of Self-Defense Division
Master Ralph Bergamo started his Martial Arts career in 1970 under Grandmaster Rossi in the "Brooklyn" section of Waterbury. At that time, some of his other instructors were Master Bosco, Larry Barberi, and Mel Hebert. The "Hard" style of Kun Tao was the only way that was taught, and many of Master Bergamo's fellow students never made it to the Black Belt level. Master Bergamo came up through the ranks with Michael Byrnes, David Stankus, and Greg Heidcamp. He was also a long time student of Master David Labonte.
Master Bergamo trained in the art of Tai Chi Quan and Tai Chi Quan Sword under Grandmaster Chun-fang He. In 1994, Master Bergamo was ranked 7th in the nation for Black Belt Fighting as was published in Karate Illustrated that year. In 1997, the first meeting of the present American-Filipino Kun Tao Federation (AFKTF), was called by the late Grandmaster Rossi. The meeting was held at Master Bergamo's home, and only a few of Grandmaster's top ranking Black Belts were invited.
Currently, Master Bergamo is the Chairman of the Board for the Federation and one of the highest ranks in The Rossi Kun Tao System. Master Bergamo is a 7th degree Black Belt under The AFKTF and The United States Martial Arts Association (USMAA) and an 8th degree Black Belt under the Kar-Do-Jitsu-Ryu Federation. He is also a certified Senior Examiner under the USMAA. He is a certified Personal Trainer under the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) and specializes in strength and conditioning for Olympic and "elite" athletes. He was also the personal trainer for the 1998 Miss Connecticut, who incidentally was Lauren Bergamo, Master Bergamo's daughter! Master Bergamo has been and remains an avid competitor, the 1999 and 2000 IMAC World Champion in Self-Defense and won 1st Place in Self-Defense at the 2002 US Open.
Years of training: 31 yrs
- 7th degree Master in The Rossi Kun Tao System (Realistic Self Defense);
- 8th degree Grand Master under the Kar-Do-Jitsu-Ryu Karate Federation;
- 4th degree Master under the United States Martial Arts Federation (JUDO);
- Master Instructor Taijiquan (Yang Style);
- Certified Personal Trainer & Strength/Conditioning Coach (AFFA, NSCA);
- Member of and Advisor to East Coast Training Systems, CT.
- Owner of Bergamo's Martial Arts, Cheshire Martial Arts Center, and Bergamo's Personal Training & Wellness Center;
- Founding member and chairman of the American-Filipino Kun Tao Federation
- Founder and leading member of World Champion Team Bergamo;
- Technical advisor to all Team Bergamo's choreographed routines;
- Director for Kar-Do-Jitsu-Ryu Karate FederationNew England Chapter;
- Co-founder of the United States Breaking Association;
- ISKA official for sanctioned events.
Motivational Seminars and Leadership Qualities and Concepts
- 3rd place Black Belt Combat Wood Breaking- US Open, FL;
- 3rd place Black Belt Wood Power Breaking, Lightweight (kick)- US Open, FL;
- 5th place Black Belt Creative Breaking- US Open, Orlando, FL;
- 6th place Black Belt Concrete Power Breaking, Lightweight- US Open, Orlando, FL
- 2nd place Black Belt Lightweight Power Breaking (concrete)- Martial Arts World Games III, Columbus, OH;
- TeamBergamo Physical Trainer and Inspirational Coach.
- 3rd Place Black Belt Lightweight Power Breaking- Joe Weider Martial Arts & Fitness Extravaganza (Invitation only) Las Vegas, NV;
- 1st place Black Belt Self Defense- U.S. Open, FL;
- 4th place Black Belt Lightweight Power Breaking- U.S. Open, FL.
- 1st place Black Belt Self Defense- (Continuous Attack Self Defense)- Compete Nationals 2001, CA;
- 7th place Black Belt Creative Power Breaking - Compete Nationals 2001, CA;
- 2nd place Black Belt Self Defense- U.S. Open, FL;
- 3rd place Black Belt Lightweight Power Breaking- U.S. Open, FL.
- 1st place Black Belt Power Creative Breaking- Empire State Nationals (Madison Square Garden);
- 2nd place Black Belt Self Defense- Empire State Nationals (Madison Square Garden);
- 5th place Black Belt Creative Power Breaking- Compete Nationals 2000, CA;
- 4th place Black Belt Self Defense- Compete Nationals 2000 CA;
- World Champion (1st place) Black Belt Self Defense- 2000 USA World Championships- Las Vegas, NV;
- 6th place Black Belt Creative Power Breaking- 2000 USA World Championships- Las Vegas, NV;
- 2nd place Black Belt Self Defense- US Open, FL;
- 5th place Black Belt Creative Power Breaking- US Open, FL.
- World Champion (1st place) Black Belt Self Defense- USA World Championships, Las Vegas, NV;
- 3rd place Black Belt Creative Power Breaking- USA World Championships, Las Vegas, NV;
- 3rd place Middleweight Black Belt Point Fighting- Boston Nationals, MA.
- 7th in the Nation, Middleweight Black Belt Point Fighting per Black Belt Magazine